BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ebmancha
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

The change in random number generators between 9.2 and 9.3 is giving me some problems.  Specifically, I need to replicate the random number generation process in 9.2 (using ranuni), while using the 9.3 software.  I found a link a while back that claimed to have code to do this, but it became inactive before I could test it.  Does anyone have experience with this?  Specifically, I need to be able to validate that samples generated using 9.2 were done correctly, while having access to only the 9.3 software.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

What does your SAS 9.2 code look like? Did  you use the streamint function in 9.2 as well?

ebmancha
Calcite | Level 5

just your standard ranuni:

proc surveyselect data = frame 

out = pj.sample  samplesize = 80  seed = 20047

run;

or, ranuni within a datastep.

Emma

ebmancha
Calcite | Level 5

and no, never used teh streamint function. 

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Back in the 9.2 days PROC SURVEYSELECT used the RANUNI algorithm, as documented here:

SAS/STAT(R) 9.2 User's Guide, Second Edition

In your example, the PROC uses the default sampling method, which is SRS (simple random samples without replacement). The doc says that "PROC SURVEYSELECT uses Floyd’s ordered hash table algorithm for simple random sampling....  See Bentley and

Floyd (1987) and Bentley and Knuth (1986) for details."  So I'd look up the algorithm and use the RANUNI function in the SAS 9.3 DATA step to try to recreate the 9.2 behavior.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation