BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Miracle
Barite | Level 11
Hi all.

How can I obtain R square in proc mixed or maybe something similar such that I can use in order to know how much variability is explained by the mixed model?

Have a good day. Many thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Run the full model and get the variance component estimates.  Then run the model again (with no fixed effects, which is the intercept only model), but specify the variance component(s) in a PARMS statement, and use the hold= option to fix them at the same values.

Steve Denham

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Dale
Pyrite | Level 9
I responded to this thread on the SAS-L listserv. Rather than repeating that here, I'll just post a link to my response on SAS-L.

http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0911c&L=sas-l&F=&S=&P=37753

Dale
Cwinds
Calcite | Level 5

I'm trying to access the response to this question as I have the same one, however, the link does not work.  Could someone answer it here or help direct to the answer?  Thanks.

lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

There have been several discussions of this on this site. There is no unambiguous or unique R2 where then are multiple random effects. But there are some possible metrics that have been used.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Here is a more recent link to Dale McLerran's post in the SAS-L archives:

https://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0911C&L=SAS-L&P=R23346&1=SAS-L&9=A&I=-3&J=on&d=No+Match%3B...

Steve Denham

TravisTCU
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for posting this link, Steve.  It seems very helpful.  I'm a novice SAS user; could provide some instruction on how to constrain the random effect variance for the intercept only model to be the same as the variance which you observe when

fitting the full model, as instructed in the link?

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Run the full model and get the variance component estimates.  Then run the model again (with no fixed effects, which is the intercept only model), but specify the variance component(s) in a PARMS statement, and use the hold= option to fix them at the same values.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 6 in conversation