BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
tobriain
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I have data on exam results for 2 years for a number of students. I have a column with the year, the students name and the mark. Some students don't appear in year 2 because they don't sit the second exam. I want to show whether the performance of students persists or whether there's any pattern in their subsequent performance. I can split the data into two halves of equal size to account for the 'first-half' and 'second-half' marks. I can also split the first half into quintiles according to the exam results using 'proc rank'

I know the output I want is a 5 X 5 table that has the original 5 quintiles on one axis and the 5 subsequent quintiles plus a 'dropped out' category as well, so a 5 x 6 matrix. There will obviously be around 20% of the total number of students in each quintile in the first exam, and if there's no relationship there should be 16.67% in each of the 6 susequent categories. But I don't know how to proceed to show whether this is the case of not with this data.

How can I go about doing this in SAS, please? Could someone point me towards a good tutorial that would show how to set this up? I've been searching for terms like 'performance persistence' etc, but to no avail. . .

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

This is how you can get a quintile by quintile table :

data test;
do year= 2011, 2012;
     do student = 1 to 30;
          mark = 40 + floor(60*rand("UNIFORM"));
          if year=2011 or mod(student,6)>0 then output;
          end;
     end;
run;

proc sort data=test; by student year; run;

proc transpose data=test out=marks prefix=y_;
by student;
id year;
var mark;
run;

proc rank data=marks out=quints groups=5;
var y_:;
run;

proc freq data=quints;
table y_2011*y_2012 / missing;
run;

PG

PG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation