BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
buski
Calcite | Level 5
Hi!
I am using the PDL model to analyze the correlation between 8-days insect abundances and weather conditions. I also want to adjust for seasonality and first order autoregressive term in the model. Here is my models.

DATA SF_MODEL; SET PDL.SF_ALL_F;
sea=sin(2*3.14*(image/46));
PROC PDLREG data=SF_MODEL;
MODEL tarsalis=tavg(4,3) rh(4,3) prec(4,3) sea / nlag=1 partial;
run;

My questions is:
1. Is it right to use "sea" to adjust the seasonality in the model? (46 is the total observation numbers of each year).

2. Does the statement "nlag=1" in the model option indicate that adjustment of the first order autoregressive term?

Thanks a lot!
3 REPLIES 3
lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
You mentioned 8 days, but your model is for 4 lags (time window of 5: current and previous 4). Is that what you want. You specified a cubic polynomial for the parameter constraints, which is just one degree less than the maximum (i.e., with no constraints). I think you are not gaining the advantages of PDL regression. With only 46 observations, I think you have an over-parameterized model. I have used PDL regression a lot, and you need a lot of data points to reliably estimate the parameters and determine the time length and polynomial order.

Your nlag option is fine for a 1-st order AR residual term.

Your seasonality term is probably OK, but it doesn't give you much flexibility. You might have to look into using a smoothing spline, but this can't be done within PDLREG. You would have to do this in another procedure, store the residuals, and then use PDLREG on the residuals. I suggest you check out the article by Schwartz (Epidemiology 11: 320-326 [2000]). Also check out Madden and Paul (Phytopathology 100: 1015-1029 [2010]).
buski
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks a lot!!
I will modify the number of lag terms in the model and also check whether I need the cubic polynomial term.

I just wanna make sure that the AR(1) and seasonality adjustment are appropriate.

Actually, I have data for 4 years so the OBS will be 184. (I understand this is a small sample size).

I am interested in the smooth spline method to adjust the seasonality. Could you tell more about that? Thanks!
lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
The references I mentioned deal with the subject.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation