BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
lousam
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello, 

I am a new SAS user and I need help with clarifying any of the following concepts:

1. When conducting multiple linear regression using mostly continuous predictors, and one categorical predictor that was coded as 0/1 (for instance Sex: 0= male and 1=female), can you use proc reg (since the indicator variable is already created) or do you have to use proc glm with a class statement?

Can I use a code like this:

proc reg data=new;

model BMI = Sex Age Height Weight;

run;

2. Is there a difference between stepwise selection and lasso selection when trying to identify the best fit model?

I appreciate any insight you can offer for any of the questions. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Yes you can use PROC REG with a 0/1 variable.

Lasso is one of many variable selection methods.  If you are interested in variable selection, see proc glmselect.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Yes you can use PROC REG with a 0/1 variable.

Lasso is one of many variable selection methods.  If you are interested in variable selection, see proc glmselect.

KachiM
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

You may remember:

Since your dependent variable, BMI, is computed using Height and Weight, the inclusion of the latter as independent variables,

will be highly correlated.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation