Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

Quadratic discriminant functions and POOL in PROC DISCRIM

New Contributor

Quadratic discriminant functions and POOL in PROC DISCRIM

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to display quadratic discriminant functions using PROC DISCRIM. Using the default POOL=YES option to used pooled covariance matrices in calculating squared distances displays the linear discriminant functions (like Table 31.4 in the example here: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63033/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_discrim_sect... , but when I specify POOL=NO to use the individual covariance matrices in calculating squared distance, it does not display the quadratic discriminant functions, even though they are used later in the procedure to classify individuals into groups. 

In my data the covariance matrices are significantly different between groups (the groups are very differently sized), so I want to use the POOL=NO option, and I get better classification rates using the quadratic discriminant functions than the linear functions. I need to report the discriminant functions so they can be used by others in the future to classify individuals, and I can't find how to display the quadratic functions. 

If anyone knows how to get the quadratic functions to display, it would be extremely helpful!

Thank you!

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation