Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

Proportional Hazards Regression the Best Option for Me?

Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

I'm planning to collect data on an ecological momentary assessment predicting assessing two psychologicla dimensions. Basically, I will be collecting eight random data collection per day for a period of a week (a total of 56 datapoints). I wanted to use all of the previous information to predict the current data point. I am familiar with multilevel modeling using SAS' Proc Mixed, but to use all of the information from one psychological variable to predict the other, I would need 55 lagged variables. Additionally, this approach just didn't seem right to me (alpha criterion for significance would need to be adjusted to .05/56 = 8.928571428571429e-4 giving me almost no power).

After doing some searching, I realized with this study I hope to use a time-varying coviariate (psychological dimension 1) to predict a repeated dependent variable (psychological dimension 2). Accordingly, the only analyses that I was able to find to perform this investigation was a Cox proportional hazards regression.

Does cox proportional hazards regression allow you to use all of the previous data, or the most recent data point? If not, is there a particular statistical method that would accomplish what I would like? It's important to me to analyze all of the time data as the temporal relationship between the two psychologicla dimensions in such a short time intervals is entirely unprecedented.

I would appreciate any and all help you can provide.

Thanks!

Occasional Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm further approaching the time when I will need to conduct the analysis and I hadn't heard a response from anyone.

If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks again!

Valued Guide

I'm not a pshcyologist, so my knowledge of EMA is just from Googling it just now. 

My guess is that Proportional Hazards is not appropriate because it requires a binary outcome measure.  You didn't state the units of your data but referenced MIXED, which generally uses a continuous response.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

Occasional Contributor

Hi Dr. Muhlbaier,

Thanks for getting back to me. You're correct that I would have to person-center and dichomoize the continuous data. It would be great to be able to make use of the full data in this case, I'm just uncertain if such a procedure exists. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!

Nick

Occasional Contributor

Hi everyone,

It's been a few months since I originally asked this question. Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to find an answer. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Nick

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation