BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RB_Wouter
Calcite | Level 5

Hi

I have a problem estimating a nlin function on weighted data which basically comes down to the problem below:

Consider the following data where clearly y =x² and z aresome weights. Bij adapting the standard proc nlin to include the weights:

data STARTDATA;
input x  y z ;
datalines ;
1 2 0.1
2 4 0.2 
3 9 0.2 
4 16 0.5 
; 
PROC SQL;
	CREATE VIEW WORK.SORTTempTableSorted AS
		SELECT T.y, T.x, T.z
	FROM WORK.STARTDATA as T;
PROC NLIN DATA=WORK.SORTTempTableSorted
	MAXITER=100
	CONVERGE=1E-05
		SINGULAR=1E-08
	MAXSUBIT=30;
	_WEIGHT_ = z;
	MODEL y = x ** b
	;
	PARMS
	b=0.01;
RUN;

The parameter b is estimated correctly as 2. However the SSE is minimized to the first weight which is 0.1 and is not further decreased to  0.
This makes the R²  (here 1) wrongly estimated.

How can I correct my example such that the SSE can be smaller than the first weight?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Forgot the mention above, your SS should not be 0 because your y values are not exactly equal to x**2 (the first y should be 1, not 2, if you want an exact match).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Why do you think the results are wrong? I just ran your program with plots turned on, and everything looks fine for the fit. Taking out the weight statement gives a different confidence region, different SE, etc.,as expected. I think you just have a coincidence about the "0.1". For instance, I ran:

data b; set startdata;
pred = x**2;
SS = (y - pred)**2;
WSS = z*SS;
run;
proc means data=b  sum;
var SS WSS;
run;

To manually get the sum of squares, weighted and unweighted, based on your parameter estimate. Weighted SS = 0.1, just like the NLIN output. If you run NLIN without the weight, you get SS = 1.0. This is what you get manually (above). I think everything is fine. By the way, put a plots=all option in your NLIN statement for good graphs.

lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Forgot the mention above, your SS should not be 0 because your y values are not exactly equal to x**2 (the first y should be 1, not 2, if you want an exact match).

RB_Wouter
Calcite | Level 5
Hi

There is an input error in my trial model: y1 should be 1 of course. However In my real problem this gives still some strange results. Thanks for the plots =all. It helps for my real problem

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation