BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
symbolgenly
Calcite | Level 5
Hello,

I tried to run a proc logistic on a dataset containing 165265 obersvations and 70 variables. The process took two days and a half, which seems to be extremely long (please tell me this is not normal). I did add the following option for the model :
selection = stepwise SLENTRY = 0.99 SLSTAY = 0.995 lackfit fast nocheck BEST=3 START=2 STOP=4 maxstep =2 --> for the train sample
selection = stepwise SLENTRY = 0.99 SLSTAY = 0.995 lackfit fast nocheck BEST=3 START=2 STOP=4 maxstep =2 maxiter=0 --> for the test (or validation sample).

Can someone please tell me why this is taking too long and how I may optimize the process time?

Thank you.
2 REPLIES 2
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Because logistic uses an iterative search algorithm, most of that time was reading and writing data to disk in the utility file. There are several things that you can do to speed it up:

-- move to a 64 bit operating platform and put in lots of memory.
-- use a faster disk drive for the WORK library. solid state might be optimal.
-- reduce the dimension of your problem (e.g. use fewer candidate variables).

See the "Computational Resources" section of the reference manual for memory details.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
Check out this usage note:

http://support.sas.com/kb/22607

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation