Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

Proc Stdrate how SAS calculate the variance of the rate in the jth stratum of the study population

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Proc Stdrate how SAS calculate the variance of the rate in the jth stratum of the study population

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm looking at how SAS calculate the variance of the rate in the jth stratum of the study population, particularly in Example 107.1.

The data provided only gives the aggregated form- so how did they calculate the variance, say the variance of the rate in the group Male, age 0-14 in state of Alaska?

Thank you,

Huong

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎09-20-2016 03:53 PM
Grand Advisor

Re: Proc Stdrate how SAS calculate the variance of the rate in the jth stratum of the study populati

Flashback to intro stats - SD of a rate is sqrt(p*(1-p)/n)

Here's are the mathematical formulas:

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/68162/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_stdrate_det...

In general, you have a rate with the N known, and we make assumptions regarding the distribution of said rate. Based on this we can calculate the bounds on the rate using the specific formula's.  

And I'll move your post to the Stats Forum so you can get some better answers.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎09-20-2016 03:53 PM
Grand Advisor

Re: Proc Stdrate how SAS calculate the variance of the rate in the jth stratum of the study populati

Flashback to intro stats - SD of a rate is sqrt(p*(1-p)/n)

Here's are the mathematical formulas:

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/68162/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_stdrate_det...

In general, you have a rate with the N known, and we make assumptions regarding the distribution of said rate. Based on this we can calculate the bounds on the rate using the specific formula's.  

And I'll move your post to the Stats Forum so you can get some better answers.

New Contributor

Thank you! I was a bit confused since the support file didn't specify the Poisson assumption....

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation