BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AVoelp
Calcite | Level 5

I am planning the sample size for an equivalence trial with two parallel groups and a metric clinical outcome (comparison of mean values). The type I error level of the (two-sided) equivalence problem will be alpha=0.05, corresponding to the inclusion of the two-sided 95% conficence interval for the point estimate between the lower and the upper bound of the equivalence range. The null hypothesis will be tested by performing two one-sided tests against the lower and the upper bound, each with a one-sided type I error level of alpha/2 = 0.025.

When I calcuilate the sample size using Proc Power as in

proc power;

twosamplemeans test = EQUIV_diff

meandiff = 0 

stddev = 25

npergroup = .

lower = -10

upper = 10

alpha = 0.025 0.05

power = 0.8;

run;

... do the values that I specify for alpha correspond to the two-sided case (i.e., to the procedure as a whole), or to the one-sided error level of each of the two one-sided tests? Which value for alpha will be appropriate for the test problem described above?

2 REPLIES 2
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Good question.  I have always treated them as corresponding to the two-sided case.  If this is incorrect, I hope someone can let us know.

Steve Denham

AVoelp
Calcite | Level 5

Steve, you're on the safe side Smiley Wink

Since there have been no responses for days (from which I have concluded that the topic is either not of interes, self-evident, or nobody really knows), and as I do not have access to SAS myself, I have cintacted their support, and they have oinformed me that the two-sided case is the program default. You can override this by specifying 'sides=1'.

Andreas

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation