xinjian
Calcite | Level 5

Dear All,

I am doing COX analysis, here is my syntax:

proc phreg data=a;

class HR;

model time*status(0)=sex HR age HTN / rl;

run;

Sex , HR, and HTN are binary variables, age is a continuous variable. the output of Analysis of Maximum Likelihood Estimates showed below:

Parameter  DF Hazard 95% Hazard Ratio Confidence 

Ratio          Limits 

HR  low        1   16.143    5.8      79.678

age              1    0.753     0.643     0.882

sex              1    0.099     0.015     0.637

HTN            1   5100      0            .

Why HTN has this kind of 95% hazard ratio confidence limits: 0, . ?

is this related to small number of no HTN in HR low group? below is a 2X2 table:

NO HTN HTN

HRLOW 1           17

HRhigh  4           51

How can I solve this problem?

Thanks for your help.

1 REPLY 1
JacobSimonsen
Barite | Level 11

I think your own answer is correct, namely that the samplesize is too low in some group. Though, since you did not include the interaction between HR and HTN I rather think it is the total "NO HTN" group that are too small.

Also, remember that you need to see some events in all groups, therefore it is relevant to count the number of events at each level for all variables. If there are some level with 0 events, then you can not estimate the hazard-ratio for that level.

Sometimes estimating becomes impossible even if there are events at all levels. Forexample if there are just one event at some level and that event happens at some time where there are no other at risk in any other levels - or if that event is the only event in some level for some other variable (a kind of coliniarity). Try therefore to make the 2X2 table you did, but weighted with number of events.

Jacob

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation