BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
xinjian
Calcite | Level 5

Dear All,

I used PROC PHREG to do Cox proportional hazards regression. I got 5 variables in the model with back ward elimination. I got 3 variables of the model when I use forward or stepwise model selection methods. Is it possible with different variables in the final model because using different model selection methods? Which method I should use?

Thanks,

Xinjian

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

xinjian wrote:

Is it possible with different variables in the final model because using different model selection methods? Which method I should use?

Yes, its possible.

There is no one method that should be used, in fact using the automated selection methods without applying business logic isn't a good method in general.

xinjian
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Reeza,

Thanks for your quick response. I used univariate cox regression (proc phreg) to select variables (if p<0.25). I got 9 variables. Then I run proc phreg with different model selection methods to find final model if p<0.05. So what is the best way to select final COX model?

Thanks,

Xinjian

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation