BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
n6
Quartz | Level 8 n6
Quartz | Level 8
I am doing a competing risks survival model, which I'm new at but I don't think it is so new that it shouldn't be in a SAS Proc. And yet I can't seem to find anything about it in my SAS Help. The idea is that it's a survival model but instead of just death being an outcome, there is also another event that can take people out of the study. That normally would just be a censoring issue, but in this case this other event is related to death and so when people get close to death they are less likely to experience death while in the study because they're more likely to be removed from the study.

Make sense? Hopefully. But anyway, the main question is, can SAS do this? Surely, it must be able to. Okay, I'll stop calling you Shirley. But in the meantime, any info is appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
plf515
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
See

Extending the use of PROC PHREG in survival analysis

by Christopher Ake and Art Carpenter,

presented at various user groups.
OsoGris
SAS Employee
Allison(1995) has an entire chapter (Chapter 6) on competing risks. Anyone doing survival analysis in SAS should have this book.

reference:
Allison, Paul D.(1995) Survival Analysis Using the SAS System - A Practical Guide, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC

The basic idea is to model each risk separately, censoring on the other exits.
n6
Quartz | Level 8 n6
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks a lot, folks, that was very useful info. I appreciate it.
r123
Calcite | Level 5
I also want to do competing risks survival analysis. Is the "Extending the use of PROC PHREG in survival analysis" talk available online?
Dale
Pyrite | Level 9
Well, I just Googled "ake carpenter phreg" (without the quotes - the quotes here serve only to indicate the terms that were in the Google search). Low and behold, right on top was a a paper with the title "Extending the use of PROC PHREG in survival analysis" which was presented at a SUG.
mycotropic
Calcite | Level 5

OsoGris and  N6; The Allison method of handling competing risks must done with care. If you violate the assumption of non-informative exits and cannot FULLY control for it with covariates then his approach is not appropriate. For more recent work on this problem see this talk by Pintilie; www.stat.ucl.ac.be/edt/20082009/Pintilie/CR.pdf

After spending weeks running and then writting up the Allison approach only to have it tanked by my committee believe me I know it's an issue and an important one.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation