BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
katiexyz
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am carrying out a non-linear model with NLMIXED and I am aware that it finds the parameter estimates which maximise the likelihood fn. But what is the likelihood function? I have assumed the residuals are normally distributed, and the code is:

proc nlmixed;

parms

ED50  5 to 250 by 5        

Emax  -2 to -1  by 0.1

V     0.1             

BETA0 1               

s 1;

pred = (x* (Beta0)) +  (y**s * Emax) / ( y**s + ED50**s );

model R ~ normal( pred, V);

Where R is the response, x and y are explanatory variables.

So I believe I'm modelling R= (x* (Beta0)) +  (y**s * Emax) / ( y**s + ED50**s )  and the errors are normal with the variance V.

Proc NLMIXED finds the parameters that maximise the likelihood fn, so what is this function?

Is it ((2pi)^(-n/2))/(sigma^n)exp[-(sum(x_i-mu)^2)/(2sigma^2)]  

where mu=(x* (Beta0)) +  (y**s * Emax) / ( y**s + ED50**s )   and sigma^2=V?

IE the ML fn for the normal dist, with the model as mu?

Please help, I am very confused

xxx;

2 REPLIES 2
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

The simple answer is YES.  That is the likelihood function with all of the definitions you present.  Check the SAS-L archives for posts on NLMIXED by David Cassell, Dale McLerran and several others.  There should be code there that will deal with this as needed.

Steve Denham

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I wrote a brief discussion of (univariate) MLE that includes code and an example. The regression approach is similar with mu replaced by the linear predictor. You should definitely check out the discussion with formulas in the PROC GENMOD documentation.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation