BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SylviaK
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am having an issue debating whether to include an interaction treatment in my random statement.  I ran an animal trial 3 times (due to lack of space for housing more animals).  So I had 3 repetitions of animals.  There were 3 treatments within each repetition and 5 animals per treatment.  So 15 total animals that we measure weight (and other things) weekly per repetition.  What I didn't expect was that each repetition is significantly different from each other.  So I included repetition as a random statement (along with repeated week/subject=animal).  Since the rep is different and the treatments are affected by rep, should I also include repetition*treatment within the random statement?  If I run rep*treatment within the model statement as a fixed effect, it is not significant. 

Any insight would be much appreciated....I'm very unsure as to what to do.  Thanks in advance to everyone for your time!!

Sylvia

2 REPLIES 2
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I would almost certainly include it as a random effect, if for no other reason than to get the denominator degrees of freedom more nearly correct.  Set up what Stroup refers to as a skeleton ANOVA table and check for degrees of freedom and sources of variability.  With a repeated measures design and a small dataset, I would also apply ddfm=kenwardrogers.

See W.W. Stroup (2013) Generalized Linear Mixed Models. CRC Press

Steve Denham

SylviaK
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks so much for your help!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 2 in conversation