BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
HimaAalamuri
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi All,

i need small clarification for proc mixed, if any one knows then please let me know.

what is the difference b/w

Repeated variable/ subject=subjid type=UN;

&

Repeated variable/ type=UN;

1) if i mention subject=subjid then what it's means?

2) if not what?

Note: In My proc mixed model, subject is considered as Random effect. so that random statment will effect the repeated statment?

please clarify my doubts.

Hema B

4 REPLIES 4
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

For an unstructured R matrix (repeated statement) the two statements are very different.  Without specifying the subject=, the covariances (off-diagonal) values are zeroes.  When you specify subject=subjid, the covariances between timepoints are estimated.  This is a good thing.

However, specifying the subject as a random effect in combination with type=un (or cs or csh) will almost certainly lead to either convergence problems or statements in the output that the G matrix is not positive definite.

If, instead you model the repeated effect with a structure that specifically involves correlations, such as AR, ARH, SP(POW), ARMA or ANTE, inclusion of the random effect of subject will almost always result in a more stable and computationally precise estimate of standard errors.

Steve Denham

HimaAalamuri
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks alot steve!

HimaAalamuri
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your valiable reply.

so in this case if i used "Repeated variable/subject=subjid type=UN"; is it necessary to mention random statment with "Subject"?

in Repeated statment, "Subject=subjid" is random effect or fixed effect?

Thanks

Hima

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Q1: No, and in fact adding a separate RANDOM statement with the subject alone will result in a non-positive definite message regarding the G matrix, as all the variability will have been explained in the R matrix.

Q2: In the repeated statement, subject=subjid isn't considered a random or fixed effect, but is a subject classifier that denotes what the repeated measure is observed upon.  I suppose in that sense, it is fixed, as it only addresses the subjects sampled in the trial, and they are assumed to be independent of one another.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation