BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
eileenwright
Calcite | Level 5

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me adjust the lsmeans for a baseline value.  That is, DV was measured 8 times: 0 min, 15 min, 30 min, 45 min, 60 min, 120 min, and 90 min, and we'd like to adjust the lsmeans for the baseline value (0 min).  Is this possible? 

2 REPLIES 2
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

With option / AT time=0 ?

PG
sld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 sld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

An analysis of covariance model might work, if what you want is to estimate the means at 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, and 120 minutes for a common value of baseline. (The baseline time=0 value would be the covariate.)

Because (presumably) of the repeated measures on a subject at 0, ..., 120 min, the model would be more complicated than your standard ANCOVA (which would have data for time=0 and time= a second value). In particular, the relationship between data at time 15 and time 0 might be stronger than the relationship between data at time 120 and time 0 because noise intrudes as time passes--in other words, the slope of the regression of the response on baseline (time=0) might decrease with later times.

This is speculative and untested, but I would consider

proc glimmix data=have;
class time subjectID;
model response = time baseline time*baseline;
random time / subject=subjectID type=<some covariance structure, maybe ar(1)> residual;
lsmeans time / at mean; /* or some other value of baseline */
run;

Issues to consider are

-- the nature of the relationship between response and baseline at each time (e.g., linear)

-- an appropriate covariance structure for the repeated measures within a subject

-- normality and homogeneity of variance (assuming normal distribution)

-- what a sensible "common" value for baseline might be, in context

Alternatively, you could compute a variable that represents deviance from baseline, either absolute (i.e., subtract the baseline value) or relative (e.g., divide by the baseline value). Or maybe a random coefficients model. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation