BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
FabioMC
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear SAS support,

I tried to fit the following multinomial model: 

proc glimmix data=data;
freq count;
class  gender class_var ;
model class_var  = gender age var1 var2

/link=glogit ddfm=kr;
random int / group=class_var;
run;

The model converges but parameter estimates are near to zero (0, without decimals) and their standard errors are 0  for var1 and var2. Moreover degrees of freedom of parameter estimates are extremely high or are 0. Please note that freq variable is very high (from 10000 to 500000), (because class_var are blood white cells populations and count is their count in blood analysis).

Number of observations is 35 subjects (in the "long" form, data are 35*5, given 5 levels of class_var).

I read on the internet some advices about rescaling the freq variable but rescaling (dividing counts by 10,100,1000...) has not effect on the problem, moreover for the other continuous variable of the model (age) there is not this problem (altough standard error is very low).

I tried some model modification, varying degrees of freedom and random statement syntax but this did not solve the problem. I tried and analogous model using genmod but I got zero both parameter estimates and standard errors; I found no collinearity in regressors.

I  performed  model with only one regressor using one  of variables var1, var2 but this did dot change the "zero" situation. 

Thank You for help,

Fabio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FabioMC
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank You for the answer but now I have found the solution (also after inserting dist=multi the problem remained without rescaling regressor).

It was a matter of "mental confusion" (and I am sorry for this) :my mind keep concentrating on response variable frequencies and I was not aware that I had a regressor with high numbers .

Regards,

Fabio

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
howarder
Obsidian | Level 7

One thing I noticed about your code is that you do not have a 'dist=multinomial' option on the model statement. Not sure if you just missed it when including your code or not. I hope that helps.

FabioMC
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank You for the answer but now I have found the solution (also after inserting dist=multi the problem remained without rescaling regressor).

It was a matter of "mental confusion" (and I am sorry for this) :my mind keep concentrating on response variable frequencies and I was not aware that I had a regressor with high numbers .

Regards,

Fabio

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation