BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I have repeated measures from the same individuals, and I need to account for temporal correlations...my outcome measure is continuous (daily score on a withdrawal scale over three weeks - including 1 week of baseline "smoking as usual" and 2 weeks of abstinence) - and I have been advised that a GEE analysis is appropriate. I see that Genmod does GEE - but I'm not sure if it will take my continuous outcome data - all the examples I can find are for logistic regression type analysis with categorical outcome data....

I can set my dataset up for a repeated measures analysis in Proc Mixed ok - its simply stacked with a column for day - a column for phase (baseline or withdrawal week 1 or 2) - and my outcome variable (withdrawal score). Then you just say:

proc mixed data = data
class subject_id phase
model symptom_score = day phase day*phase
repeated subject = id
run

But it seems from the examples I can see that proc genmod does not want the data in a stacked format - but instead with each repeated measure (i.e. each day of symptom data in my example) in its own column. However with this format - I don't understand how you specify the outcome variable (i.e. in the example above - there is just 1 column with all the withdrawal scores in it - but now it would be 21 columns if I dont stack my data.....I don't understand how all the day column could have the same name and thus be specified as a single variable for the GEE analysis outcome.

Here is my GEE code:

proc genmod
data= Cws.Score_data;
/*Marker2 = days;Marker3 = Phase*/
class Subject_id Marker2;
model I_had_mood_swings = Marker2 /type3
link=identity covb;
repeated subject=Subject_id
/type=exch maxiter=25000 covb corrb;
run;

Any help greatfully received.

Thanks,

Davo
1 REPLY 1
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
PROC GENMOD uses the same data arrangement as PROC MIXED -- one response variable with multiple observations containing the repeated measurements of each subject. This is illustrated in the examples in the GENMOD documentation:

9.1: http://support.sas.com/onlinedoc/913/getDoc/en/statug.hlp/genmod_index.htm
9.2: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63033/HTML/default/genmod_toc.htm

You can use any of the response distributions offered by the DIST= option including the continuous distributions such as normal, gamma, etc.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation