BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
disguy
Calcite | Level 5

Suppose we have a regression model between two variables: Yvar and Xvar. Suppose the results are grouped in terms of a variable with 3 levels (say this variable is for race: asian, black, white). If I observe the scatterplot in terms of these groupings (using different colors) and I observe that all 3 have different slopes - how I do I test this using the proc glm procedure?

That is, if I want to test that the slopes for Yvar and Xvar are different for each level of the race variable, how do I do this with proc glm? I'm pretty sure it involves partial F-tests, but I only have experience with those using the proc reg procedure.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

The parallel slopes testing model is:

Y = B0 + B1*Asian + B2*Black + B3*White + B4*X + B5*X*Asian + B6*X*Black + B7*X*White + e

The CLASS RACE statement creates dummy variables (Asian, Black, White) with values (1,0,0) for RACE="Asian", (0,1,0) for RACE="Black" and (0,0,1) for RACE="White". SAS will force parameters B3 and B7 to zero because they are redundant, so that the linear equations are:

Asian : Y = (B0+B1) + (B4+B5)*X

Black : Y = (B0+B2) + (B4+B6)*X

White : Y = B0 + B4*X

The F test for effect RACE*X tests the hypothesis B5=B6=B7=0 which, if true, would mean that all slopes are equal.

hth

PG

Message was edited by: PG corrected typo reported by Steve Denham.

PG

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Reeza
Super User

I could be entirely wrong here:

1. Isn't that the parameter estimated for the categorical variable?

2. You could use contrast statements to test specific hypothesis.

disguy
Calcite | Level 5

The indicator (which has 3 levels here) is categorical, but the Y and X variables are numerical.

What do contrast statements look like?

Reeza
Super User

Take a look at the Example in the documentation:

SAS/STAT(R) 9.22 User's Guide

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/sas/output/sas_glm_output.htm

A bit more complex than what you're doing, but hopefully gives you an idea of how to specify the class statement for your categorical variable and use contrasts for testing.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Testing for differences in slopes is done routinely prior to analysis of covariance (check the example in SAS/STAT(R) 9.3 User's Guide).  You simply need to include a slope-by-class interaction term in the ANCOVA model to fit separate slopes for each class (Race) :

class Race;

model VarY = Race|VarX / solution;

estimate 'Asian vs Black' Race*VarX 1 -1 0;

The Race*VarX term in the analysis of variance table tests for overall slope homogeneity.ESTIMATE statements test for individual differences.

PG

PG
disguy
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks. I've been a little confused, and I think it might stem from my understanding of the partial F test rather than how to use SAS. So I would like to clarify that I have the right approach:

I used proc glm to get various sum of squares information to do a partial F test.

Now, for testing the hypothesis that the slopes are all different, would it be correct to describe the model as:

Let R be indicator variable with 3 levels.

Y = B_0 + B_1 X + B_2 R + B_3 XR

Then, I would test the hypothesis that B_1 = B_2 = B_3 by setting up the model Y = B_0 + B (X + R + (X)(R))? And finally, just use the sum of squares information where this becomes my reduced model?

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

The parallel slopes testing model is:

Y = B0 + B1*Asian + B2*Black + B3*White + B4*X + B5*X*Asian + B6*X*Black + B7*X*White + e

The CLASS RACE statement creates dummy variables (Asian, Black, White) with values (1,0,0) for RACE="Asian", (0,1,0) for RACE="Black" and (0,0,1) for RACE="White". SAS will force parameters B3 and B7 to zero because they are redundant, so that the linear equations are:

Asian : Y = (B0+B1) + (B4+B5)*X

Black : Y = (B0+B2) + (B4+B6)*X

White : Y = B0 + B4*X

The F test for effect RACE*X tests the hypothesis B5=B6=B7=0 which, if true, would mean that all slopes are equal.

hth

PG

Message was edited by: PG corrected typo reported by Steve Denham.

PG
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

PG, I always believed that the test for the hypothesis of equal slopes (B5=B6=B7=0) was RACE*VarX, as you mentioned in your first post, and the F test for effect RACE tested B1=B2=B3=0, or equality of intercepts.

Steve Denham

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Thanks Steve. I corrected the typo. - PG

PG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation