BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Hello,

The CMH statistic calculated on RIDIT scores (proc FREQ) takes the value (n-1)*Rs**2 where Rs is the Spearman rank correlation. This is of interest with multi-level tables, because it is the only way in SAS to get a stratum-adjusted Spearman correlation. How can I get the sign of Rs?

PG

PG
7 REPLIES 7
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You can get Spearmen coefficients from PROC CORR with the SPEARMAN option. For example, the Spearman coefficient for the following data is 0.36332 and n=21.  The CMH statistic is (21-1)*(0.36332)**2 = 2.6400

data test;
call streaminit(1);
do i = 1 to 21;
   x = rand("table", 0.5, 0.3, 0.2);
   y = rand("table", 0.5-x/10, 0.3, 0.2+x/10);
   output;
end;
run;

proc corr data=test spearman noprob;
var x y;
run;

proc freq data=test;
tables x*y / scores=ridit cmh norow nopercent nocol;
run;

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Thanks. But my question is about stratum-adjusted correlations. As with TABLES A*x*y / ...

PG

PG
ballardw
Super User

Proc corr;

by A;

I would think would do it.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

In proc freq, strata play a distinct role from BY analysis. A stratum-adjusted correlation is not the same as correlations by stratum. The former is a single coefficient of within strata relationship, the later are multiple coefficients, one for each stratum. - PG

PG
gergely_batho
SAS Employee

What about dummy coding the strata variable, then using proc corr and putting all the dummy variables in the partial statement? (I haven't checked the validity of this approach.)

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Hmm, that sounds logical to me--partialling out the strata effect ought to at least get the sign correct.

Steve Denham

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Back at this, at last. The partial correlation sounded indeed like an intuitively appealing idea, thanks . So I ran a simulation. Correlated random pairs were generated with proc simnormal. Data was divided into 5 groups with means 1, 2, 3, 5, 7 and Std devs 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, each group represented by 100 pairs. The exercise was repeated for correlations of 0.5 and -0.1. Partial and stratum-adjusted correlation estimates were compared for 1000 sets of 500 observations. Stratum-adjusted estimates were given the sign of the corresponding partial correlation as suggested by . Here are the results:

SGPlot11.png SGPlot10.png

It is obvious to me that the two estimates are somewhat related and sligntly biassed toward zero, but certainly not equivalent. In the small negative correlation simulation, about 1% of the stratum-adjusted correlations were given the wrong sign.

PG

PG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 5 in conversation