BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JonB_
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I've recently been playing around with a few different types of predictive models and finally got around to learning about MARS. Little did I know that SAS recently implemented the algorithm. I've been reading through the SAS documentation on Proc Adaptivereg and found what SAS produces for parameter estimates:

adaptreg parameter estimates.PNG

source: https://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/stat/121/adaptivereg.pdf

How to I interpret this? MARS centers around basis functions that change at knots. I see the knots the algorithm found, but how do I interpret the coefficients? I think the "Parent" column is throwing me off particularly. I think you need to add the coefficients of the basis function you're interpreting with the parent basis function to get the coefficient for that basis function. is that right? What do you do in the case where the parent basis function was eliminated? how does this work with class variables?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You might find the DETAILS=BASIS option helpful.  See the example in Kuhfeld and Cai (2013).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
plf515
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I find that the best way to interpret all the coefficients is graphically.  I demonstrate one way to do this in a paper I presented at the latest SGF. The presentation is here and the paper is here. I also cover how to interpret the numerical output.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You might find the DETAILS=BASIS option helpful.  See the example in Kuhfeld and Cai (2013).

JonB_
Calcite | Level 5

This is exactly what I needed. When all the basis functions are spelled out it becomes a little clearer whats going on.

Thanks.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation