BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
aral
Calcite | Level 5

Hello everybody,

I'm using mixed with repeated measurement, and I want to choose the best model, when I compared the different possibilities of the stamen type (ante(1), ar(1), un, cs...) I have some AIC values negatives and positives.

So my question is smaller is better, but smaller means near to 0 or more negative.

One example I have for ante(1) an AIC of -75.8 and for ar(1) 8.8 so which one is the preferred model??

Thank you for the help!

2 REPLIES 2
lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

The magnitude of AIC is not meaningful, just the difference in AIC between different models. 0 has no particular meaning. You want the smallest AIC. -75.8 is much smaller than 8.8

HarryLiu
Obsidian | Level 7

It is very important to explore different variance-covariance structures when using proc mixed because the output contains fit statistics indicating which clearly indicate how well each model fits the data compared to other models. You need select the model that has the smallest AIC value. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation