BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Saba1
Quartz | Level 8

Hi

I have a panel dataset with a large number of stocks and monthly data. I have tried to run regression with "year" and "stock" fixed effect by using proc glm. But the results show biased estimates for year and stock. Following is the message I receive with regression output:

"Note: The X'X matrix has been found to be singular, and a generalized inverse was used to solve the normal equations. Terms whose estimates are followed by the letter 'B' are not uniquely estimable."

Following is the code:

proc glm data=reg ;
absorb year PERMNO;
model a = b c year PERMNO / solution noint;
run;
quit;

Please assist me identifying the reason behind biased results. Is it fine if I use "proc surveyreg" instead of proc glm for fixed effect?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Saba1
Quartz | Level 8

Hi

I have a panel dataset with a large number of stocks and monthly data. I have tried to run regression with "year" and "stock" fixed effect by using proc glm. But the results show biased estimates for year and stock. Following is the message I receive with regression output:

"Note: The X'X matrix has been found to be singular, and a generalized inverse was used to solve the normal equations. Terms whose estimates are followed by the letter 'B' are not uniquely estimable."

Following is the code:

proc glm data=reg ;
absorb year PERMNO;
model a = b c year PERMNO / solution noint;
run;
quit;

Please assist me identifying the reason behind biased results. Is it fine if I use "proc surveyreg" instead of proc glm for fixed effect?

Thanks.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I merged the questions. Please post questions omly once, as it keeps all the answers and discussion in one place.

The stat procs forum is the right one for this issue.

Saba1
Quartz | Level 8

@Kurt_Bremser Thanks. But I have not yet received any help.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation