Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

Predictions from Proc QLIM

Contributor

Predictions from Proc QLIM

My dependent variable contains positive integers truncated at 1. It is also quite skewed. The n is small with 48 observations. My first try was a multiplicative (log-log) model. Thinking I could improve on the Mean Squared Error, I tried quantile regression at the 25th percentile. This had the positive effect of reducing the MSE by 33% versus the OLS multiplicate model, but had the undesireable result of producing some negative predictions. So, I tried Proc QLIM specifying a truncated lower bound equal to 1, thinking that any predictions from this procedure would be constrained at the lower bound. 

I was wrong. Proc QLIM produces negative predictions in spite of a lower bound at 1. This result is unexpected and surprising. The documentation doesn't address the issue. 

What am I missing here? 

Respected Advisor

Re: Predictions from Proc QLIM

Have you tried Poisson and negaiive binomial counts models (available with many procedures, such as COUNTREG)?

PG
Contributor

Re: Predictions from Proc QLIM

I have not tried those but they are good suggestions which I will pursue. Regardless, I'm still curious about why QLIM is giving me negative predictions. Any insights?

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation