BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
xtc283x
Quartz | Level 8

My dependent variable contains positive integers truncated at 1. It is also quite skewed. The n is small with 48 observations. My first try was a multiplicative (log-log) model. Thinking I could improve on the Mean Squared Error, I tried quantile regression at the 25th percentile. This had the positive effect of reducing the MSE by 33% versus the OLS multiplicate model, but had the undesireable result of producing some negative predictions. So, I tried Proc QLIM specifying a truncated lower bound equal to 1, thinking that any predictions from this procedure would be constrained at the lower bound. 

I was wrong. Proc QLIM produces negative predictions in spite of a lower bound at 1. This result is unexpected and surprising. The documentation doesn't address the issue. 

What am I missing here? 

2 REPLIES 2
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Have you tried Poisson and negaiive binomial counts models (available with many procedures, such as COUNTREG)?

PG
xtc283x
Quartz | Level 8

I have not tried those but they are good suggestions which I will pursue. Regardless, I'm still curious about why QLIM is giving me negative predictions. Any insights?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation