BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
djbateman
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am sure that SAS does not have a specific procedure or option to do the power for Cohen's kappa, but is there a formula that can be programmed to calculate power?

For example, I want to answer the question, "200 cases provide XX% power of obtaining a lower bound confidence interval of 0.60."  Since we are dealing with power, that question may need to be adjusted to compare to a hypothesis test rather than a confidence interval, but I am not sure.

I know that my data has high prevalence, so is there a way to do these power calculations for PABAK (prevalence-adjusted bias-adjusted kappa)?

As a side note, I will need to do power calculations for Fleiss' kappa (a multi-reader kappa) in the future.  I have not found any literature on this subject.  Does anyone know if power calculations exist for Fleiss or even ICC since they are comparable?

1 REPLY 1
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

This is going to be kind of scattered all over the place, but let's see where it goes.  The confidence bounds and tests that SAS reports for kappa are based on an assumption of asymptotic normality (which seems really weird for a parameter bounded on [-1,1]).  If you are willing to accept all of this asymptotic kind of thing, then you can calculate power based on inverting the formulas in the PROC FREQ documentation, and applying a non-central t to calculate beta, to get 1-beta=power.

Or you could rely on simulation, which is likely a better approach, especially for PABAK.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation