BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
hovliza
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi! I am performing a prospective cohort study in an existing cohort study. The sample of participants I can use from this existing cohort is 190. I am using a Cox model to analyze the data and to get a Hazard ratio. But now I want to know what the power of the study is. How can I calculate it? I can't find it on the internet...

So I am doing a prospective survival analysis (in an existing cohort) of 190 participants, the exposure is divided either into three categories and continuous and the outcome is yes/no.

After that, I also want to calculate the power of the study when it is stratified for some covariates.

I am using SAS, so maybe there is an option in SAS for this?

I hope some of you can help me. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

I would probably simulate it then. 

You would run a whole bunch of simulations and determine the cutoff points.  I actually coded this about 5 years ago for a clinical trial protocol and to determine the number of obs and when we could terminate early 🙂

I recall using a text book, I'll dig up the name and reference tonight, if someone else hasn't already answered this.

You can also look up Rick Wicklin's book on simulating data with SAS. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User

PROC POWER. 

It looks like survival analysis. 

Here's an example to get you started.

http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=statug&docsetTarget=statug_power_examples06.htm&docsetVersion...

@hovliza wrote:

Hi! I am performing a prospective cohort study in an existing cohort study. The sample of participants I can use from this existing cohort is 190. I am using a Cox model to analyze the data and to get a Hazard ratio. But now I want to know what the power of the study is. How can I calculate it? I can't find it on the internet...

So I am doing a prospective survival analysis (in an existing cohort) of 190 participants, the exposure is divided either into three categories and continuous and the outcome is yes/no.

After that, I also want to calculate the power of the study when it is stratified for some covariates.

I am using SAS, so maybe there is an option in SAS for this?

I hope some of you can help me. Thanks in advance!

hovliza
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for answering. When I do this:

PROC POWER;
coxreg
      hazardratio = 1.4
      stddev = 1.2
      ntotal = 190
      eventprob = 0.25
      power = .
   ;
run;

SAS says about the 'coxreg';  180-322: Statement is not valid or it is used out of proper order. This nearly the same as in the example, what can I do? I am using SAS 9.4.. I think that is the problem? What else can I do?

Reeza
Super User

What version of SAS/STAT do you have? If you're not sure, you can use the following code to check.

It's possible that it's an earlier version and you don't have this feature yet 😞

proc product_status;run;
hovliza
Obsidian | Level 7
I am using SAS 9.4 so I think it is not possible? What could I do to calculate the power of my survival analysis? Because Ive three groups and in PROC POWER; twosamplesurvival you only have two groups right?
Reeza
Super User

I would probably simulate it then. 

You would run a whole bunch of simulations and determine the cutoff points.  I actually coded this about 5 years ago for a clinical trial protocol and to determine the number of obs and when we could terminate early 🙂

I recall using a text book, I'll dig up the name and reference tonight, if someone else hasn't already answered this.

You can also look up Rick Wicklin's book on simulating data with SAS. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation