BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ashwini_uci
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I am working on a cross table, for instance for the cross table Hospital regions vs ARF-NoARF hospitalizations, it would be 2 x 4 cross table and the p value yielded is applicable to the whole tables combined. How do I get the p values for difference between ARF-NOARF admissions for each region separately, the poct-hoc comparisons?

I am attaching a part of the table and its figure here to this post.I want the p values for the highlighted #s in the table. I have also plotted them on the graph next to the table. All I need is the p values for the red/blue bars for each region.

The overall p value that’s shown in the table is the combined p value. But in the graph you see that the ARF and NIS %s are very different for northeast and South regions but NOT very different for Midwest and West regions. So how do I get those p values exactly, separate for each region from this table that would allow me say if they are significant or not?

SO basically the code I have used is below and that’s how I got the table below and I created the graph. You can take a look at the Figure 3 in that paper and read the description right below it.

proc freq;

table arf hospitalization *region /chisq;

run;quit;

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ashwini

3 REPLIES 3
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Try this:

proc freq;

by region;

tables arf hospitalization/binomial;

run;

Steve Denham

Ashwini_uci
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks very much Steve.! I tried the above code by using another example.Regionwise afib hospitalizations.  I am attaching the output to the original posts. I am not sure how to interprete the results though.

For this analyses, I am referring to a published article and I've highlighted the part that I am trying to do for my analyses.In that paper, they have mentioned the posthoc comparisons in 3 figures which I have highlighted in the article and attached it to the oiginal post. I have made similar graphs and and my results are quite similar to theirs so I would like to do the posthoc comparisons as well. I have also attached my own results in the original post.

Please take a look and if yo could advise on how I can obtain those p values; for the post-hoc comparisons ,that would bevery helpful!

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Well, for each region you get: proportion in each category, the asymptotic standard error, confidence bounds, and a test of whether the proportion is equal to 0.5, which is equivalent to asking whether the categorization yields a different proportion than simple randomization.

So the procedure in the paper most likely did the following:

proc freq;

tables region*arf_hospitalization/chisq;

weight KIDwt;

run;

If that is significant, then follow-up with pairwise comparisons:

proc freq;

where region=1 or region=2;/* This coding will depend on how regions are coded*/

tables region*arf_hospitalization/chisq;

weight KIDwt;

run;

and then stepping through all pairwise comparisons of region.  If there are a lot of comparisons, you may need to consider passing the raw p values to PROC MULTTEST to get adjusted p values, but it does not appear that Miyake et al. did that.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation