BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hello,

I ran a polychoric correlation and recieved the following output.

Polychoric Correlation Value = -0.1791 ASE = 0.0178

How can I interpret the ASE?

Thanks,

Kelly
4 REPLIES 4
deleted_user
Not applicable
Is it the asymptotic standard error of the correlation?
deleted_user
Not applicable
It is but, pardon the potentially stupid question, what does it signify in terms of the -.17 coefficient I got? Am I to assume that this coefficient is not significant?
Dale
Pyrite | Level 9
I would say quite the opposite. The absolute value of the ratio of the polychoric correlation to its asymptotic standard error is 10. Assuming that the ratio follows a normal distribution, the probability that the polychoric correlation is zero in the population from which your sample is drawn is essentially zero.

That said, the correlation is small. The amount of shared variance is on the order of 3%. Whether this is meaningful is a totally different question than whether the correlation is significant.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Sorry for the late reply - but thanks very much!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation