BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Tetrix
Calcite | Level 5

I have the following design:

60 Plants assigned to treatment A (with, without)

Variables V1 and V2 have been measured at the plant level (e.g. biomass)

We selected three leaves per plant (young, intermediate, old) and measured three variables per leaf (V3, V4, V5). Thus, we have a kind of split-plot design.

We now want to know how treatment A affects "plant phenotype" which is characterized by variables V1, V2 (plant level) and V3-V5 (leaf level). Of course, we can use a linear model for each variable separately, but we need to have a measure how the plant "as a whole" was affected by A.

We think that analyzing dissimilarity matrices from all plant traits might be a good option to assess the effect of A. In R, there is a package available (adonis) which does a "permutational MANOVA". I wonder if there is something similar possible in SAS.

Further, I am not sure how to deal with the split-plot structure of leaf data in such permutation tests.

Many thanx for every idea!!!!

3 REPLIES 3
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Search the SUGI 27 proceedings for a paper by David Cassell--A Randomization-test Wrapper for SAS PROCs.  There is a macro %RAND__GEN that may be able to do what you need.

Steve Denham

Tetrix
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you, this is very interesting and probably a first step! However, I am not sure how to deal with the fact that some variables have been measured on the whole plant-level whilst other variables have been measured on subplots (leaves of differing age) within he plant. Thus, combining both types of variable seems to be a bit of a problem...

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Mmm, that does pose some problems.  I haven't tried it recently, but I think the wrapper does handle (or can be set up to handle) hierarchical structures.  If not, contacting the author might be in order.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation