BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

I am using PROC COUNTREG to look at time trends in fish capture data. As I really don’t expect the fish counts to be from a Poisson distribution, I request the regression to consider the counts as negative binomial variates.

PROC COUNTREG offers two ways to relate the variance to the mean when doing negative binomial regression. Either σ2= µ + α2µ2, in which case, observations with mean µ are assumed to follow the distribution (Eq. 1):

P(x=m) = PDF(“NEGB”, m, α2µ/(1+ α2µ), 1/α2),

or σ2=µ + α1µ, which implies the distribution (Eq. 2):

P(x=m) = PDF(“NEGB”, m, α1/(1+ α1), µ/α1).

(I added a subscript to alpha because both values are not, and should not be, the same)

I wanted to compare the fit of both alternatives to my data. I was able to generate a confidence interval around the fitted curves using Eq. 1, but when tried to do the same with Eq. 2, the values made no sense.

I would like to know: what does the estimated parameter _Alpha, as reported in the OUTEST= dataset, represent when DIST=NEGBIN(P=1) is requested?

PG
PG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Too late to retract this question… The answer was that Eq. 1 and Eq. 2 were in error. They should have read (Eq. 1) : P(x=m) = PDF(“NEGB”, m, 1/(1+ α2µ), 1/α2), and (Eq. 2) : P(x=m) = PDF(“NEGB”, m, 1/(1+ α1), µ/α1). The values of _Alpha produced by PROC COUNTREG in negative binomial regressions effectively correspond to the factor in the mean to variance relationships.  - PG

PG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Too late to retract this question… The answer was that Eq. 1 and Eq. 2 were in error. They should have read (Eq. 1) : P(x=m) = PDF(“NEGB”, m, 1/(1+ α2µ), 1/α2), and (Eq. 2) : P(x=m) = PDF(“NEGB”, m, 1/(1+ α1), µ/α1). The values of _Alpha produced by PROC COUNTREG in negative binomial regressions effectively correspond to the factor in the mean to variance relationships.  - PG

PG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation