BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
LucyB
Obsidian | Level 7

I have some pre post data for an extremely small sample (n=5). Outcome is continuous and no control. What statistics would be more appropriate to report? Accordingly, is a paired t-test or a wilcoxon signed rank test more appropriate?

I feel 5 data points are insufficient to assess normality. Should i report both?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Report the Wilcoxon signed rank test result. It is non parametric and the value reported by proc univariate is exact for samples of size < 20.

PG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

Report mean and maybe direction of change? 5 is too small to make any generalizations - may even want to just report all the numbers. We summarize in first place because too much data to understand otherwise. 5 points don't have that issue. 

LucyB
Obsidian | Level 7

So maybe a t-test and wilcoxon sign test?

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Report the Wilcoxon signed rank test result. It is non parametric and the value reported by proc univariate is exact for samples of size < 20.

PG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation