BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Hanyu
Fluorite | Level 6

I have a problem regarding the PROC Severity and Weibull distribution. In the attached SAS file, I simulated a Weibull-distributed random variable with 1000 observations and I added 4 zero values to the random vector. I then estimated the parameters of the Weibull distribution using PROC Severity where it is still able to give me an estimation. However, as the PDF at x=0 is 0 and the log likelihood is not defined at x=0, SAS should not give me an estimation. Instead, it should give me an error. I test the data exported from SAS with R’s fitdistrplus package and indeed it gives me an error when trying to estimate the parameters.  I want to know what is going on with PROC Severity when fitting Weibull distribution to a dataset containing zero values.

The reason I am asking this question is that I have a real dataset which I want to model with Weibull distribution and the dataset also contains zero values.

Here is my SAS code and R code.

proc iml;
call randseed(12345);
x=J(1000,1);
call randgen(x,'Weibull',1.5,1);
x=x//{0,0,0,0};
x=T(ranperm(x));
y=loc(x=0);
print (y);
call series(1:nrow(x),x);
create weibull from x;
append from x;
close weibull;
quit;

proc severity data=weibull;
loss col1;
dist weibull;
run;

#R code--------------------------------------------------------------

library(MASS)
library(fitdistrplus)
library(ggplot2)

#---------------------------------------------------------------

weibull=read.csv('weibull.csv')
fit_w=fitdist(weibull$COL1,'weibull')
ggplot(data = weibull)+geom_histogram(aes(x=COL1))

6 REPLIES 6
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

> However, as the PDF at x=0 is 0 and the log likelihood is not defined at x=0, SAS should not give me an estimation.

> Instead, it should give me an error.

You should probably contact Technical Support for a full answer. I am not an expert on PROC SEVERITY, but here are a few observations:

- The likelihood function for Weibull is defined for x=0. Only the log-likelihood is undefined when x=0.

As stated in the PROC SEVERITY documentation, the initial values for the parameter estimates are found (for Weibull) by using a method of percentiles, so the procedure can find an initial estimate.

This makes me suspect that there is special handling for x=0, but I do not know the details. I will point out that if you change the "bad values" to be negative

x=x//{-1e-6,-1e-6,-1e-6,-1e-6};

then the SAS log reports

WARNING: For at least one observation, variable COL1 has a negative value. Ignoring such observations.

(note that those observations are dropped and the procedure continues)

Hanyu
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you Rick, my guess is also the same. I suspect SAS also drops zero values without issuing any notice if it is optimizing log likelihood 

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I don't think they are dropped. Observations that are dropped are not given predicted values. You can look in the OUTPUT data set to see that the predicted PDF and CDF for these values are 0. In contrast, if you use a negative value, those observations are assigned missing values for the PDF and CDF.

proc severity data=weibull;
loss col1;
dist weibull;
output out=out copyvars=(col1) functions=(cdf pdf);
run;

Hanyu
Fluorite | Level 6

Another note is that the Weibull pdf is not defined if the shape parameter is strictly less than 1

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I think you meant to say the PDF is not defined at x=0, which is correct.

Hanyu
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes. The Weibull pdf is not defined at x=0 if the shape parameter is strictly less than 1

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation