Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

PROC SURVEYSELECT - sampling without replacement with consecutive randomly permutating

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

PROC SURVEYSELECT - sampling without replacement with consecutive randomly permutating

Dear community,

I would be glad, if you could help me with the following issue.

My aim is to draw N observations from a N-observation containing data-set, without replacement.

("I want to draw the urn empty, without replacement")

Utilizing proc iml, I am only capable of drawing a single value from a column-vector.

proc iml;
s = sample(1:20, {20}, "WOR");
print s;
quit;

However, "proc iml" has this nice "WOR" option -

"specifies simple random sampling without replacement. After elements are randomly selected, their order is randomly permuted. "

This is exactly, what I would like to have.

With "PROC SURVEYSELECT", utilizing the "srs" method, I only get the result I would get as with specifying “NoReplace" in the "P

ROC IML" statement -

* N denotes the sample size;
%LET N = 100
proc surveyselect data = input method=srs sampsize = &N. out = output; id _all_; run;

- just a copy of my input-data.

In short, I am looking for the "method=" correspondent to "WOR" in "PROC IML" - that is, that the input data set is "drawn empty".

Likewise, I would like to know, how I can use the "PROC IML"  "sample" function, in order to sample vectors.

I would be very glad, if you could help me.

Yours sincerely,

Sinisturm

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎08-14-2016 02:33 AM
Respected Advisor

Re: PROC SURVEYSELECT - sampling without replacement with consecutive randomly permutating

So, what you want is to reorder a sample randomly. Simply sort your sample by a random variable:

data myClass;
set sashelp.class;
rnd = rand("uniform");
run;

proc sort data=myClass out=myClass(drop=rnd); 
by rnd; run;

PG

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎08-14-2016 02:33 AM
Respected Advisor

Re: PROC SURVEYSELECT - sampling without replacement with consecutive randomly permutating

So, what you want is to reorder a sample randomly. Simply sort your sample by a random variable:

data myClass;
set sashelp.class;
rnd = rand("uniform");
run;

proc sort data=myClass out=myClass(drop=rnd); 
by rnd; run;

PG
Grand Advisor

For your second question:

proc iml;
use sashelp.class;
read all var _num_ into x[c=vnames];
close;

v=sample(vnames,1,'wor');
want=x[,v];

print want[c=v l=''];
quit;

Contributor

Thank you very much to both of you -

PG for simplifying and solving my issue (I only want to reorder the sample randomly)

and

Xia Keshan for dealing with my "proc iml" issue.

Either, I am too clumsy to get your solution to work, or, I do not have expressed my wish well enough.

What I want to do, is "draw from the rows of a NxE-matrix ", such that I get N row-vectors (matrix is "drawn empty") and write this draws to a data set with N rows and E columns.

I just came across this solution, which, I hope, does implement what I strive for:

proc iml;
call randseed(1);
use Sashelp.Cars nobs N;
varNames = {"MPG_City" "Length" "Weight"};
read all var varNames into x[rowname=Model];
close Sashelp.Cars;

obsIdx = sample(1:nrow(x), N);   /* sample size=N, rows chosen from 1:NumRows */
s5 = x[obsidx, ];                /* extract subset of rows */
print s5[rowname=(Model[obsIdx]) colname=varNames];

(in the original, sample size is "5"; "nobs N" is added 5 changed to N, by me).

Again, thank you a lot.

Grand Advisor

So both question are the same ?
You want draw row vector not column vector ?

proc iml;
use sashelp.class nobs n;
read all var _num_ into x;
close;

idx=ranperm(n);
want=x[idx,];

print want[l=''];
quit;

SAS Super FREQ

Your syntax will be simpler and your meaning clearer if you use the RANPERM function in IML instead of the SAMPLE function.

Sampling N items without replacement from a set that contains N elements is a permutation of the elements:

proc iml;
s = ranperm(1:20);  /* equivalent to sample(1:20, 20, "WOR"); */
print s;
Contributor

Hello.

Ksharp wrote:
So both question are the same ?
You want draw row vector not column vector ?

Yes, both questions are the same - that is, what I meant with "likewise". I should have expressed my question better - I am sorry for that.

Rick_SAS wrote:

Your syntax will be simpler and your meaning clearer if you use the RANPERM function in IML instead of the SAMPLE function.

Sampling N items without replacement from a set that contains N elements is a permutation of the elements:

proc iml;
s = ranperm(1:20);  /* equivalent to sample(1:20, 20, "WOR"); */
print s;

So, this eventually brings together PG's comment and my desire to solve it via "proc iml".

Thank you for

- showing me the right commands in SAS, as well as,

- clarifying, what I am actually aiming for (which I should have known by myself).

Once again, I am really happy to see that great kind of a help.

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation