BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
wfung
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm running PROC SURVEYFREQ to compare demographic covariables of my sample with a national sample.

The first step I wanted to do was determine if propensity score weighting can balance the demographics covariates between my sample and the national sample. When I ran the PROC SURVEYFREQ with chi-square test, I got the following note in the SAS log: 

"The Rao-Scott chi-square test cannot be computed for the table of GENDER by Treatment
because the design correction is not positive."

I got the same note for some (but not all) of the covarites. Does anyone know what this means? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you. 

I first appended my sample and the national sample into one dataset.

Then I created the propensity scores using a logistic regression. 

Here is the syntax that created the propensity score weights: 

/*Calculate weights using propensity score. */
DATA PropensityVol2;
SET PropensityVol;

/*Weighting by the odds*/
IF Treatment = 1 THEN PSWeightWBO = 1;
ELSE IF Treatment = 0 THEN PSWeightWBO = prob/(1 - prob);

/*Inverse probability of treatment*/
IF Treatment = 1 THEN PSWeightIPTW = 1/prob;
ELSE IF Treatment = 0 THEN PSWeightIPTW = 1/(1 - prob);

/*Multiply propensity score weight by survey weight*/
IF Treatment = 1 THEN PSWeightWBOxSurveyWeight = PSWeightWBO * 1;    /*Multiply by 1 because my sample does not have survey weights*/
ELSE IF Treatment = 0 THEN PSWeightWBOxSurveyWeight = PSWeightWBO * NWGTR;    /*Multiply by national sample's survey weight*/

IF Treatment = 1 THEN PSWeightIPTWxSurveyWeight = PSWeightIPTW * 1;
ELSE IF Treatment = 0 THEN PSWeightIPTWxSurveyWeight = PSWeightIPTW * NWGTR;

RUN;

/*Use PSWeightWBOxSurveyWeight or PSWeightIPTWxSurveyWeight  in PROC SURVEYFREQ*/ 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SAS_Rob
SAS Employee

The design correction can in fact be negative. I suggest that you take a look at the reference listed below for details on this.

Thomas, D.R., and Rao, J.N.K. (1984), "A Monte Carlo Study of Exact Levels of Goodness-of-Fit Statistics Under Cluster Sampling," Proceedings of the Survey Research Methods Section, ASA, 207 - 211.

As to the reason why in your case it is negative it is hard to say since I am not familiar with your data. It may be related to the fact that you have many single observation strata, but this is not always the cause of it.

I would suggest using the modified Rao-Scott chi-square (option CHISQ1) in this case. It computes the design correction using the null hypothesis cell proportions (instead of the estimated proportions) together with the cell design effects. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
wfung
Fluorite | Level 6

Here is the PROC SURVEYFREQ syntax: 

PROC SURVEYFREQ DATA = PropensityVol2;
TABLES
  (Age_category
  Educ
  Marital
  Income_category
  Veteran
  Employment
  FuncLimit) * Treatment /CHISQ;
WEIGHT PSWeightIPTWxSurveyWeight;

RUN; 

SAS_Rob
SAS Employee

The design correction can in fact be negative. I suggest that you take a look at the reference listed below for details on this.

Thomas, D.R., and Rao, J.N.K. (1984), "A Monte Carlo Study of Exact Levels of Goodness-of-Fit Statistics Under Cluster Sampling," Proceedings of the Survey Research Methods Section, ASA, 207 - 211.

As to the reason why in your case it is negative it is hard to say since I am not familiar with your data. It may be related to the fact that you have many single observation strata, but this is not always the cause of it.

I would suggest using the modified Rao-Scott chi-square (option CHISQ1) in this case. It computes the design correction using the null hypothesis cell proportions (instead of the estimated proportions) together with the cell design effects. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation