BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RonLev
Calcite | Level 5

I am using PROC NLMIXED to produce a poisson mixed model (I'm using this method instead of GLIMMIX or GENMOD because I need the correct confidence intervals for the Pre/Post difference in means).   The first model is the fixed effects model, the second model is the mixed model:

FIXED EFFECTS MODEL (matches results from GLIMMIX, GENMOD)

PROC NLMIXED data=prepost;

PARMS b0=-1.6 b1=0.1;

eta = b0 + b1*prepost2;

lambda=exp(eta);

model countRx=poisson(lambda);

estimate 'pre level ' exp(b0);

estimate 'post level' exp(b0 + b1);

estimate 'pre-post difference' exp(b0+b1)-exp(b0);

run;

RANDOM EFFECTS MODEL (to adjust for correct pre post estimates)

PROC NLMIXED data=prepost;

PARMS b0=-1.6 b1=0.1 s2u=0;

eta = b0 + b1*prepost2 + u;

lambda=exp(eta);

model countRx=poisson(lambda);

random u~normal(0, s2u) subject=enrolid

estimate 'pre level ' exp(b0);

estimate 'post level' exp(b0 + b1);

estimate 'pre-post difference' exp(b0+b1)-exp(b0);

run;

Here's the problem:

The fixed effects model gives these estimates:

parameter estimates

bo  -1.5994

b1  0.09337

estimates

period   countRx

pre       0.2020

post      0.2218

pre-post  0.01977

But the random effects model gives these estimates:

parameter estimates

bo   -6.4813

b1    0.09337

s2u   26.2858

estimates

period   countRx

pre       0.001532

post     0.001682

pre-post  0.000150

We would expect some changes because of the switch from independent measures to a repeated measures model, but nothing like this.   What is the problem?    Is the model specification correct?

Ron Levine

Message was edited by: Ronald Levine:

Since I've been advised the the above code is correct for the Poisson with random effects model, there is another issue at hand:  the large random effects variance (s2u=26) may be diminishing the mean estimation.   (I tried the same model using PROC GLIMMIX and the estimation was not affected.   Why? )    My question to the community is:   Should we use a NegBin distribution instead of Poisson in PROC NLMIXED?    Or, (since 92% of the count outcomes are zeros), should we use a ZIP or ZINB distribution instead?    How would these alternative models be coded in PROC NLMIXED? Ron Levine

1 REPLY 1
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Hi Ron,

I would definitely consider ZIP or ZINB with that many zeroes.  A good place to search for code to do this is in the SAS-L archives.  Look for posts by Dale McLerran.  There is an especially good one dated 14 April 2003.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation