BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hello,

I am a SAS beginner, so please excuse me if my question is silly.

I'm trying to estimate the parameters of a ODE system with four equations and eight parameters. Each of the 4 ODEs look something like this:

dxi/dt = f(param1, param2, param3, param3, input1, input2, input3, input4, x1, x2, x3, x4)

I have a data set that includes the values of the input variables and the dependent variables (x1, x2, etc.) at each discrete time point (t=1, ... 60). Thus, the data is a table that has 8 columns and 60 rows.

If I manually choose the parameter values, I am able to successfully simulate the model using something like this

PROC MODEL
SOLVE x1 x2 x3 x4 / time = ...;
RUN;

However, when I try to estimate the parameters, I get an error: "At OLS Iteration 0 there are 1 nonmissing observations available. At least 3 are needed to compute the next iteration."

I also get a warning: "Missing value encountered for initial DERT.x1 at ..." In my data, the input variables are not known at each time but I get the same warning even when I fill the missing values with some arbitrary numbers.

My code is:

PROC MODEL

DATA=... /* the data includes, time, input and actual values of x */
OUT=...
OUTALL;

parameters param1=... param2=... ...;

dependent x1=... x2=... ... ;

DERT.x1 = ...
DERT.x4 = ...

fit x1 x2 x3 x4 / time=... dynamic SUR;
RUN;

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you!
1 REPLY 1
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hello,

As a side note...

When I do not include the input vectors, i.e., when I assign constant values to the variables

input1 = const1;
input2 = const2;

etc.

The code works - well almost. I get the warning "The covariance across equations (the S matrix) is singular. A generalized inverse was computed by setting to zero the part of the S matrix for the following 1 equations whose residuals are linearly dependent with residuals from earlier equations: x2" I suppose this does not come as a surprise, given that the ODEs make little sense if the input is constant.

So maybe the problem is with how I deal with the input variables? I just refer to them in the code using the same variable name with which they appear in the data.

I would very much appreciate if anyone had even just a vague idea of what might be the problem...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation