BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SASuser13
Calcite | Level 5

Hi there,

I have a question regarding a longitudinal analysis for measurements over time. Let's say I'm interested in assessing the effect of age at study entry on blood pressure. Participants will have different numbers of measurements and measurements will not necessarily be taken at the same intervals (ie one patient may have measurements taken at 1 month, 9 months and 17 months, another patient may have measurements taken at 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, 4 months, etc). Time is calculated as date of measurement minus study entry date. I'm doing this analysis in proc mixed (SAS 9.4) and using a spatial power structure to model the correlation within patients (ie as measurements get farther apart they become less correlated).

My question is: Does it make sense to look at a univariate analysis where I have only adjusted for age at study entry, or should this type of analysis always include time as a covariate to be properly interpreted?

Thank you for taking the time to consider my question!

1 REPLY 1
sld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 sld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I'd say, it depends.

Do you have a research question about how blood pressure changes over time? Do you expect that mean blood pressure will change over time? Are different treatments applied to patients, and if so, might the time profile be affected by treatment? 

Or are the multiple measurements merely subsamples?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation