BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
tbanh
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has tried to specify a multivariate t distribution for the fixed effects in a mixed model. I have some code below that I used to fit a model to some simulated data. In this code, I assumed a multivariate normal prior on the beta's. Does anyone know whether or not I can specify a multivariate t? I looked into the GENERAL statement in PROC MCMC where you can specify custom distributions. Does it look like I'll have to use GENERAL?

proc mcmc data = SimulatedData;
	array theta[2] b0 b1;
		array theta_c[2];
		array mu0[2] (0,0);
		array sigma_c[2,2];
		array sigma_0[2,2] (10000 0 0 10000);
		array s[2,2] (0.02 0 0 20);
	parms theta_c sigma_c {.1 0 0 .1} var_y;
	prior theta_c ~ mvn(mu0, sigma_0);
		prior sigma_c ~ iwish(2, s);
		prior var_y ~ igamma(0.01, scale = 0.01);
	random theta ~ mvn(theta_c, sigma_c) subject = Subject;
	mu = b0 + b1*Time;
	model Response ~ Normal(mu, var = var_y);
run;

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I'n not an expert on MCMC, but there are two places in the doc that seem relevant. The first is that the multivariate t distribution is not one of the built-in multivariate distributions that are supported by PROC MCMC.  The second is in the section on sampling methods where it states that you can specify a t distribution on the PARMS statement multidimensional parameters.

tbanh
Fluorite | Level 6
Yes, multivariate t is not one of the recognized distributions. I tried specifying a t-distribution on the PARMS statement but that did not lead to the goal of specifying a multivariate t on the fixed effects. I am currently trying to use the GENERAL statement to specify a custom multivariate t. Have you had any experience with this?
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

No, I have no experience with this. However, Zhang (2013, p. 16-17) shows how to use generalized error distributions in PROC MCMC by using the GENERAL statement. Perhaps that will be helpful for you.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation