BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
n6
Quartz | Level 8 n6
Quartz | Level 8

I'm running PROC LIFETEST with a four-level group variable that is defined by age (<60 vs >=60) and depression (none vs mild or more).  It runs fine.  I have an ODS SELECT statement for SAS to only generate what I need and it is as follows.

ods select Means CensoredSummary HomTests SurvDiff SurvivalPlot;

Then I change the depression dichotomy to "none or mild vs moderate or more."  Everything else is the same.  And when I run it I get the following error.

ERROR: Floating Point Zero Divide.
WARNING: Output 'SurvivalPlot' was not created. Make sure that the output
object name, label, or path is spelled correctly. Also, verify
that the appropriate procedure options are used to produce the
requested output object. For example, verify that the NOPRINT
option is not used.
ERROR: Termination due to Floating Point Exception
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
WARNING: The data set WORK.SURV may be incomplete. When this step was
stopped there were 1485 observations and 7 variables.
WARNING: Data set WORK.SURV was not replaced because this step was stopped.

It still runs but it does not give me the pairwise comparisons nor do it give me the K-M plot.  If I take "SurvDiff" out of the ODS SELECT statement the the pairwise comparisons aren't there (since we're no longer asking for them) but the K-M plot does come back.

I've run models on many different survival outcomes and every time it's the same story, namely the "none vs mild or more" dichotomy always gives me the pairwise comparisons and the "none or mild vs moderate or more" dichotomy never gives them to me.

The "zero divde" makes me think it's trying to divide by 0 somewhere.  In a cuople of the models it's true that I have 0 failure for one of the four gruops.  But for other models I don't have 0s and yet I still get the error.  Even if a 0 for one of the four subgroups meant that it couldn't be used in a pairwise comparison I don't know why SAS couldn't just give me the pairwise comparisons that can be made and put asterisks for the ones that can't.

Okay, so that's my problem, any insight on this is greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

try this Google search

"Floating Point Zero Divide" lifetest site:sas.com

There are lots of things that might cause the error.

Reeza
Super User

Unless you can post data so we can replicate the issue, this may be best handled by SAS Support. 

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

As Reeza says, you should open a track with SAS Technical Support. That will enable them (and the SAS developer) to figure out why you are getting this message. They might be able to offer a work-around that you can use to resolve the issue. 

t_ar_taat
Quartz | Level 8

Hi n6
In my situation,this WARNING message is deleted/ not shown.

How = Surround proc lifetest with ods graphics

ods graphics on;
  proc lifetest date = work.x;
  run;
ods graphics off;

My situation.

With my PC SAS (ver 9.4) ,when I do proc lifetest before using "ods graphics on/off", through interactive mode is no warning. But do the .sas file through batch executing, the log output this message.(WARNING: Output 'SurvivalPlot' was not created. )

After adding ods graphics on and off, there is no warning when I execute it by interactive and batch either.

I wish you have no warning...
Hand.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation