BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
BlueNose
Quartz | Level 8

Hello all,

I have some basic questions regarding PROC GLIMMIX and PROC MIXED, and probably other mixed models related PROC's.

Assume that I have an outcome variable Y, continuous, and a treatment variable X with 2 levels. Let's also say that every subject in the analysis contributes 3 data points (can be 3 treatments in one person, or students within schools).

If I write this code:

proc mixed data = ....;

class SubjID;

model Y = X / solution cl;

[random statement]    

run;

what is the difference between:

random SubjID;

to

random intercept / subject = SubjID;

and let's say (if it's a legal statement):

random Treatment / subject = SubjID;

I tried it on a small data set and the first two options gave me identical results. This question of course is relevant also for glimmix with a dist = binary.

And one more question, if I have this scenario, and I run a PROC MIXED once with random statement and once with REPEATED, and the results are very similar and leading to the same conclusions, how can I choose if to use R side or G side covariance ?

Thank you !

1 REPLY 1
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

A really valuable source is SAS for Mixed Models, 2nd ed. by Littell et al.  I can't imagine working with SAS and mixed models without having this available.

And it will answer every one of your questions that you posed.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation