BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Nick_Serao
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I would like to get the probability of having any "response level" for each level of "treatment" in my data, and not only the "probabilities of levels of y having LOWER Ordered Values in the

response profile table." that SAS automatically outputs.

(I'm simplifying a lot the real scenario just to have an idea).

Let's say I would like to see the effect of 3 treatments (T1, T2 and T3) on a given health status (5 categories: low, mid-low, med, mid-high and high), correcting for the covariate Weight (W).

I'm running an ordinal multinomial model:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

proc genmod data=health;

class T;

model Status = T W/dist=multinomial link=clogit type3;

estimate 'T1 - T2' T 1 -1/exp;

run;

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This (estimate statement) code gives that the odds of T1 being in lower health categories is 2.8 the odds of T2 being in lower health categories.

Although this is interesting, that's not what I want. What I really want are all the probabilities of being in each of the 5 Health Categories for each of the 3 Treatments:

P(low|T1)

P(mid-low|T1)

P(high|T3).

Is is possible to have this in Proc Genmod? If so, can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Not sure this will give what you want, but it might lead to it:

proc genmod data=health;

class T;

model Status = T W/dist=multinomial link=clogit type3 aggregate=T;

estimate 'P(low|T1)' intercept 1 T 1 0 0 / exp e;

estimate 'P(mid-low, low|T1) intercept 0 1  T 1 0 0 / exp e;

estimate 'P(med, mid-low, low|T1) intercept 0 0 1  T 1 0 0 / exp e;

<put more estimates in here, as needed, following these examples>

ods output estimates=estimates;

run;

I based it on the cumulative logit.  There would have to be a post-processing step on the estimates dataset, as the mean estimates are the cumulative probabilities.  The estimated probabilities per level would have to be calculated by difference, with the probability of the 'high' level as 1 - P(med-high, med, mid-low, low|T1).  Unfortunately, this will not give standard errors for the probabilities, but if you only need point estimates, this might be an approach you could use.

Steve Denham

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Not sure this will give what you want, but it might lead to it:

proc genmod data=health;

class T;

model Status = T W/dist=multinomial link=clogit type3 aggregate=T;

estimate 'P(low|T1)' intercept 1 T 1 0 0 / exp e;

estimate 'P(mid-low, low|T1) intercept 0 1  T 1 0 0 / exp e;

estimate 'P(med, mid-low, low|T1) intercept 0 0 1  T 1 0 0 / exp e;

<put more estimates in here, as needed, following these examples>

ods output estimates=estimates;

run;

I based it on the cumulative logit.  There would have to be a post-processing step on the estimates dataset, as the mean estimates are the cumulative probabilities.  The estimated probabilities per level would have to be calculated by difference, with the probability of the 'high' level as 1 - P(med-high, med, mid-low, low|T1).  Unfortunately, this will not give standard errors for the probabilities, but if you only need point estimates, this might be an approach you could use.

Steve Denham

Nick_Serao
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Steve...

Sorry for the late reply, I was travelling...

This was actually the first approach I tried, but I was not having much success with these estimates because my model is a little bit more complex, but looking at your code, I could finally understand what I had to do.

But, as you said, I could only get the point estimates.

Thanks!

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Nick,

What about interval estimates?  You could get these by adding the cl option after the slash.  Approximate standard errors are a lot harder.  While the delta method is by far to be preferred, one approach would be to estimate the standard error as sqrt( estimate * (1 - estimate) / df)).  This means post-processing of the estimates dataset using ODS output estimates=estimates;

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation