BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
issac
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi everyone;

I want to perform correlation analysis with 4 variables that are measured in nominal scale. I would like to know which method (Pearson, Spearman, Kendall, ...) is best for that purpose? Any comments would be appreciative!

Thanks;

Issac

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Yes, based on what you've said. You can use PROC FREQ to test for association between groups or uniformity across groups.  for example, to see if POW_LOCATION is uniformly distributed in your data, you can say

tables POW_LOCATION / chisq;

To see if there is an association between gender and veteran status, use

tables SEX*Veteran / chisq;

The FREQ documentation has several examples that you can look at.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
art297
Opal | Level 21

Since none of our statisticians have responded as yet, I'll provide a non-statistician's comments which, hopefully, will get them to correct me.

If you only have nominal variables, unless they are all 0,1 dichotomies, I would think that you want to look at proc freq (i.e., chi-square) rather than proc corr.

Art

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Thanks, Art. For truly nominal values (Red, Green, Blue,...), PROC FREQ and chi-square is a good answer.

If the variables are ordinal, there are more options. In PROC FREQ you can use tetrachoric or polychoric correlations (use PLCORR options on TABLES stmt) to study the correlation between discrete categories that can be ordered.

Rick

issac
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Arthur and Rick;

These are purely nominal, I think. For example, whether the patient is Veteran or not, where is the POW location, Patient Eligibility, Means Test, etc. So I should for PROC FREQ rather than CORR, correct?

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Yes, based on what you've said. You can use PROC FREQ to test for association between groups or uniformity across groups.  for example, to see if POW_LOCATION is uniformly distributed in your data, you can say

tables POW_LOCATION / chisq;

To see if there is an association between gender and veteran status, use

tables SEX*Veteran / chisq;

The FREQ documentation has several examples that you can look at.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation