BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Sam28041977
Calcite | Level 5

Dear Everybody,

I need some help about the PRIOR statement in the mixed procedure.

Is thsi option allow bayesian estimation?

The different estimates are exactly the same with and without the option and the posterior distribution mean and 5% and 95% percentiles are very close to the frequentist mean and the 90% confidence interval.

I use the non informative JEFFREYS prior.

SAS doesn't mention this procedure as a procedure able to make bayesian estimation.

Thank in advance for your feedback.

Samir

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mohamed_zaki
Barite | Level 11

What PROC MIXED provide is falling under what is called "Empirical Bayes". Because the parameters or hyperparameters of the prior distributions of the random effects are actually estimated from the data via the likelihood functions.

Not only PROC MIXED offeres that but other procedures also see: Usage Note 23407: Available Bayesian methods

But if we talk about fully Bayesian treatment then you should consider using one of the procedures mentioned as in here: Bayesian Analysis Using SAS/STAT Software

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mohamed_zaki
Barite | Level 11

What PROC MIXED provide is falling under what is called "Empirical Bayes". Because the parameters or hyperparameters of the prior distributions of the random effects are actually estimated from the data via the likelihood functions.

Not only PROC MIXED offeres that but other procedures also see: Usage Note 23407: Available Bayesian methods

But if we talk about fully Bayesian treatment then you should consider using one of the procedures mentioned as in here: Bayesian Analysis Using SAS/STAT Software

Sam28041977
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks a lot mohamed-zaki for your answer.

It confirms what I suspect.

Have a nice day,

Samir

lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I somewhat disagree with the 'solution' post. With he PRIOR statement, one is getting true Bayesian analysis with PROC MIXED. See the very nice presentation in chapter 13 of the book SAS for Mixed Models, 2nd edition (2006). One just does not have much control over the priors. A Jeffrey's prior is used for the variance parameters (these are based on the data, but are considered to be non-informative). A flat (constant) improper prior is used for the fixed effects. There is direct sampling from the posteriors (using a independence chain). With these restrictions, the posterior is conditionally multivariate normal. The statistics paper describing the approach in MIXED is: Wolfinger and Kass (2000). Non-conjugate Bayesian Analysis of Variance Component Models. BIOMETRICS 56:768-774.

For more flexible approaches to Bayesian anlaysis, one has to use the other listed procedures.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I would like to add to Larry's comment.  C.R. Henderson showed in the 80s, based on a report from Laird and Ware, that using maximum likelihood estimates of the G and R matrices yields an empirical Bayes estimate of the random effects.  So even without sampling, mixed model estimates of the variance components are Bayesian, given the data.  This traces back to Harville's work that REML is related to Bayesian marginal inference.{Harville, D. A. (1974). Bayesian inference for variance components using only error contrasts. Biometrika 61, 383–385.}

I think I just proved I'm old...

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation