Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

PHREG output statement question

Contributor

PHREG output statement question

In phreg, using the output statement with survival=
option, what is the formula to recreate the survival= calculation?  I cannot recreate it.

Thank you very much!

Respected Advisor

Re: PHREG output statement question

There are a number of survivor functions available, and the calculations are available for each type in the documentation under Details: PHREG Procedure>Survivor Function Estimators.  There is a Breslow estimator, Flemin-Harrington estimator, and the product-limit estimator.

You should be able to check the calculation based on the formulas provided.

Steve Denham

Contributor

I'm trying to use the betas from the model, plug in the individual patient data into a formula with the betas and try to recreate the exact values that I get in the survival=

I think i would use this, but what do I plug in for alpha?

hi(t) = exp(α + β1xi1 + β2xik + ・ ・ ・+ βkxik)

Thoughts?

Super User

I'm not sure, but here's what I'd try

The formula you have is the hazard function formula, h(t), not the survivor function.

The survivor is S(t)=S(baseline)(t)^exp(B1x.....)

from SAS docs.

You have your beta's from the output and you can get the baseline syntax in proc phreg

Baseline (out=)

I don't know if you'd need to set values for the covariates or not, but that's where I'd start.

Respected Advisor

Expanding on Reeza's comment.

Some math thoughts: In exp(α + β1xi1 + β2xik + ・ ・ ・+ βkxik), the first term exp(α) is a constant that ends up as a multiplier of exp( β1xi1 + β2xik + ・ ・ ・+ βkxik), and is thus just part of S(baseline).  You do not need alpha to calculate survivor functions.

Steve Denham

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation