BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
msecic
Calcite | Level 5

In phreg, using the output statement with survival=
option, what is the formula to recreate the survival= calculation?  I cannot recreate it.

Thank you very much!

4 REPLIES 4
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

There are a number of survivor functions available, and the calculations are available for each type in the documentation under Details: PHREG Procedure>Survivor Function Estimators.  There is a Breslow estimator, Flemin-Harrington estimator, and the product-limit estimator.

You should be able to check the calculation based on the formulas provided.

Steve Denham

msecic
Calcite | Level 5

I'm trying to use the betas from the model, plug in the individual patient data into a formula with the betas and try to recreate the exact values that I get in the survival=

I think i would use this, but what do I plug in for alpha?

hi(t) = exp(α + β1xi1 + β2xik + ・ ・ ・+ βkxik)

Thoughts?

Reeza
Super User

I'm not sure, but here's what I'd try

The formula you have is the hazard function formula, h(t), not the survivor function.

The survivor is S(t)=S(baseline)(t)^exp(B1x.....)

from SAS docs.

You have your beta's from the output and you can get the baseline syntax in proc phreg

Baseline (out=)

I don't know if you'd need to set values for the covariates or not, but that's where I'd start.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Expanding on Reeza's comment.

Some math thoughts: In exp(α + β1xi1 + β2xik + ・ ・ ・+ βkxik), the first term exp(α) is a constant that ends up as a multiplier of exp( β1xi1 + β2xik + ・ ・ ・+ βkxik), and is thus just part of S(baseline).  You do not need alpha to calculate survivor functions.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation