BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
FabioMC
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a two variables, all with ordinal response scores, doubly repeated measures program where  the two variables are evaluated in a number of animals by 3 observers for  3 times (time0=now, time1=after some time form time0, time2=after some time from time1).

It is of interest to state if there is a significant effect of time  on scores for the two varables.

I tried the following code (after having read suggestions by Steve Dunham) about similar topic

proc glimmix data=mydata pconv=1e-6;
   where variable='a';
   class animal  time evaluator;
   nloptions maxiter=100;
   model response = / s link=cumprobit dist=multinomial ddfm=kr2;
   random int time /s sub=evaluator type=ar(1);
   run;

Being unsure of correctness of the above code I kindly ask users for useful suggestions.

Fabio

11 REPLIES 11
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I might suggest something a little different:  you need to accommodate animal as a subject as well as specifying time as a fixed effect in the model.

where variable='a';
   nloptions maxiter=100;
   model response = time/ s link=cumprobit dist=multinomial ddfm=kr2;
   random int  /s sub=evaluator type=un(1);
random time /s sub=evaluator*animal type=ar(1); run;

This assumes that the time points are equally spaced and that the evaluators are independent.  The analysis is a marginal analysis.  You may want to use a conditional analysis in this case, where the results are conditional on the random effects, rather than averaged over the random effects.  To get that, add METHOD=LAPLACE to the PROC GLIMMIX statement.

Steve Denham

FabioMC
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Steve, thanks for the precious suggestions.

I have applied the syntax you suggested, but convergence was not obtained when covariance structures AR(1) and UN(1) was used.  

I set both covariance structures to defaults and convergence was obtained.

What do you think about? Is there a way to get convergence applying covariance structures you suggested ?

I think that a cause of not getting convergence could the small number of animals (N=7).

Is there a significant impaiment of the model if default structures are used?

Here is  the program that has worked

where variable='a';
   nloptions maxiter=100;
   model response = time/ s link=cumprobit dist=multinomial ddfm=kr2;
   random int  /s sub=evaluator /*type=un(1)*/;   random time /s sub=evaluator*animal /*type=ar(1)*/;
   run;

Thanks again,

Fabio 

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Have you tried without a structure for evaluator but with a structure for time?

Steve Denham

FabioMC
Obsidian | Level 7
Yes, also in this case there is no convergence.

##- Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no
attachments. -##
FabioMC
Obsidian | Level 7

Now I have reduced number of response categories and it works with AR(1) and UN(1) but G matrix  is not positive definite

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

That generally means that you have insufficient data to estimate all the parameters in the G matrix--some come up as zero.  This should not deter you from the analysis, as something like 'Final Hessian is not positive definite' would.  

For models that aren't converging, one thing you may want to check up on is the behavior of the objective function--if it is behaving relatively smoothly, and you still haven't converged, you might try increasing the maxiter= value, or relaxing the convergence criteria.

Steve Denham

FabioMC
Obsidian | Level 7
   class variable animal  time evaluator;
   nloptions maxiter=100;
   model response = variable | time / s link=cumprobit dist=multinomial ddfm=kr2;
   random int  /s sub=evaluator type=un(1);   random time /s sub=evaluator*animal type=ar(1);
   run;

Unfortunately the convergence process is not smooth but I think that the information of interest, i.e., difference between times has been obtained (and it is robust between models) with models modified by you suggestions, thanks.

A further improvement could be to analyse all the two response variables (that should be correlated) as a bivariate response; the  two variables are correlated and both have multinomial response but one has 4 categories, the other 5.

I have tried  a possible analysis for this with responses with each lesser number of categories (I attach the program) but there is no convergence.

Thanks for further help, Fabio

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Hi Fabio,

The attachment wasn't there, but it is generally a good idea as a last resort, when all else fails, to convert a multinomial (or a pair of multinomials) to a binomial.  Have you considered using a different optimizer than the default quasi-Newton?  I have had pretty good luck with the ridged Newton-Raphson method for these distributions.  To get this add:

tech=nrridg

to the NLOPTIONS statement.

Steve Denham

FabioMC
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Steve,
If I convert to binary each of the response variables (class variable =
"variable",having levels "a" and "b") I can get convergence, even with the default
optimization algotythm.
Please I would like to know if the following syntax is correct to analyze
simultaneously (multivariate analysis) the two response variables "a" and "b", each
being a binary response variable, as said above.

Thanks once again, Fabio

title 'bivariate analysis with binary response variables ';
proc glimmix data=mydata;
nloptions maxiter=100 ;
   class variable animal  time evaluator;
   model response = variable | time / s dist=binary;
   random int  /s sub=evaluator type=un(1);
   random time /s sub=evaluator*animal type=ar(1);
   lsmeans variable*time /diff;
run;
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I agree with this approach as the first attempt.  The next step would be to figure out a way to incorporate any correlation between the levels of "variable". For an example, take a look at Joint Modeling of Binary and Count Data located here:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/68162/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_glimmix_exam...

and adapt as needed.

(And then comes the deluge...)

Steve Denham

FabioMC
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank You Steve, I will try to apply according your suggestions.
Fabio

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation