BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JamesPower4
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello:  I would like to do a multinomial logistic regression.  There are three response levels, and two factors (class) variables as the explanatory variables.  My problem is the "exposure" to both of the class variables varies by observation.  In a binomial logistic regression I know I could include the exposure as an offset variable, but I can't figure out how to calculate what offset I should use when there are two factors, each with varying exposures.  Any ideas?

More detail:  I'm trying to model probabilities of a fish moving in a stream.

My 3 responses are the fish 1) moved upstream; 2) moved downstream, or 3) moved and returned to its former location.

The two nominal response variables are light level (coded as day or night) and tide (coded as flooding or ebbing).

The study took place over several months, so fish that were followed early in the study experienced shorter daylengths (exposure to light) than fish that were followed later in the study.  The same is true of the tides - fish were exposed to varying durations of flooding or ebbing tides.  So how do I take the different day lengths and tide durations into account when trying to evaluate the fish response to those factors?

Example code:

Proc Logistic;

Class DayOrNight  (ref='Day')

FloodOrEbb (ref='Ebb');

Model Movement = DayOrNight | FloodOrEbb / Offset = ????;

Run;

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

Sounds like you simply need to change your predictors from binary variables, to continuous predictors that are estimates of the total light exposure and total flood (and/or ebb) exposure.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation